Tuesday, November 9, 2010

'Cuz Your Mama Don't Vote and Your Daddy Don't Rock n' Roll

So there's been a lot of election talk lately, what with midterms and all (who knew, even out of college you gotta be ready for them!). I've noticed that there are three factions of people: people who voted, people who are pretending they voted, and people who didn't know there were elections for anything but the president. I'm generalizing here, of course.
The people who voted are -- generally-- self righteous, convicted, and liable to try to make you feel guilty for NOT voting. My history professor, for example. Her steely gaze alone was almost enough to make me feel guilty for not voting.
The people who pretended to vote are nervous. They want to be good people but are lazy, uninformed, or forgetful. These people will sometimes start half-assed political debates in order to look "in touch", then edge away with wary eyes when you argue back. This would be most of the people I see every day.
And then there's me, the out-of-the-loop couch potato. I don't know a midterm election from dog crap and frankly, I don't care that much. All I know the eBay lady ran for something, and the other chick's name is an anagram of California, plus a "Y". Because let's face it, it doesn't matter who sits up there in the capital or senate or congress or whatever. By the time you're well known enough to be on the ballot, you're too corrupt to make a difference.
I have a growing disdain for the philosophy "if you don't vote, you don't have the right to complain." On some level, yeah, I get it. We should work to change our country, not just bitch about it. But at the same time, our whole government is comprised of so many layers and branches, all of them owned by SOMEBODY, not a one of those high-ranking officials with a skeleton-less closet. You really think one man's gonna change that? One vote? I don't feel informed enough to vote, and if I was informed, I'd feel too disgusted to vote. I think one vote can make a difference, when you add up all those people who are "just one vote"-- but the outcome , in the end, makes no difference.
It's like saying that "if you don't vote for American Idol, you have no right to complain about the music on your radio". It doesn't matter, dude. This whiny man or that whiny man-- it's all the same in the end.

Novel update:
5, 748 words down...69,252 to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment